WHY OUR EYES TEAR WHEN WERE CHOPPING ONIONS ?
Onion is an important component in our daily meals because it gives a delicious taste and easy to add. Onions is known to tear one’s eyes when it’s being chopped; and this is caused by the secretion of a chemical substance called syn-propanethial-S-oxide. The latter one It stimulates the eyes’ lachrymal glands so they release tears!
The Nutrients in Onion:
Onion is very rich in minerals such as Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, Selenium, Phosphorus … In addition to this, it is rich Vitamin C, Quercetin, and sulfur compounds.
Health Benefits of Onion :
Onions have a lot of benefits on health and human body. It is always advisable to add it in your meals; Onion maintain most of its benefits after cooking it, but still it is in its best richness when it’s still fresh!
The benefits of Onion include :
- Quercetin -a component in onion- is an antioxidant that works in the body as an antihistamine; It reduces the risks of having Asthma because the former prevents the immune cells from releasing histamine
- The intake of onion lowers the level of glucose and reduces the risks of having Diabetes
- Reduction of high blood pressure
- Strengthens the body against possible infections
- It works as an antibiotic
- It helps in loosing weight and reducing obesity
- It maintains skin tone and strength of hair
- Increases the sexual power of men