The Pancreas is an effective organ in the digestive system . It is a six inches long and it sits across the back of the abdomen, behind your stomach. The Pancreas’is an important organ that we need to take care of . In this article we are going to take a look about its functions, diseases, and we’ll give you tips and rules on how to ^protect your pancreas .
The pancreas is an effective organ in the digestive system . It has three main functions :
- Producing the digestive juices : these digestive juices consists of enzymes . The latter ones decompose the food and make it easy to absorb .
- Producing the gastric acid : Islets of Langerhans produce Gastrin hormone in the pancreas . Gastrin hormone helps in the excretion hydrochloric acid which helps in the digestion .
- Regulating the sugar level : pancreas regulates the level of sugar in the blood through the production of the inslin and glucagon .
The pancreas has more than these three functions , and most of’em are related to the digestion .
The Pancreas may expose to certain diseases including :
- Pancreatitis : It’s an inflammation in which the digestive enzymes are activated before they are released into the small intestine and begin attacking the pancreas itself .
- Pancreatic Cancer : There’s no proved causes behind the pancreatic cancer but drinking alcoholic and smoking are considered as a big possibility . The patient may suffer from pain in the upper abdomen. Yellowing of the skin, eyes, loss of appetite are pancreatic cancer symptoms .
- Diabetes : diabetes type1 is caused by an immune system disorder for genetic reasons . This disorder makes the immune attack beta cells which stops the production of insulin .
Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, zollinger-ellison syndrome and pancreatic cysts are also a very common diseases of the pancreas .
Nutrition can be considered as the best way to provent your pancreas from diseases. And these are some advisable foods for the pancreas : sweet potato, Spinach, Milks, Mushrooms, Mulberry, Cherry, Grapes, Onions, garlic and vegetables .